Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Elementary years



Space was big.   Just 5 years before I entered kindergarten Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.  With the launch of Voyager 1 and 2, outer space got even bigger.  I recall that being all over the place.




We were all fascinated with the gold records.

I don't recall any special lessons about it at the time, I'm sure my teachers must have spoken about it but there were no reports that I remember working on.  If anything, if a teacher saw an interesting program in the TV guide they would tell us to watch it.  Something like this perhaps:


While outer space was all over the news things were pretty interesting on earth as well.  The Concorde ushered in supersonic flight.

 
 
This was taken from History.com
"From London’s Heathrow Airport and Orly Airport outside Paris, the first Concordes with commercial passengers simultaneously take flight on January 21, 1976. The London flight was headed to Bahrain in the Persian Gulf, and the Paris to Rio de Janeiro via Senegal in West Africa. At their cruising speeds, the innovative Concordes flew well over the sound barrier at 1,350 miles an hour, cutting air travel time by more than half."


The last big science related story I can remember from the time has to do with this woman...
That would be Louise Brown, but when I was a kid she was known as the first test tube baby.  Her birth introduced the word to in vitro fertilization and if you were a kid, you got a lesson in biology whether you wanted it or not because it was everywhere.

You can find a biography of her by clicking here.


Now what do I remember about middle and high school?